Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Life Of The Party

"Let us say the game may be continued in two ways: one of them is a beautiful tactical blow that gives rise to variations that don't yield to precise calculation; the other is clear positional pressure that leads to an endgame with microscopic chances of victory.... I would choose the latter without thinking twice. If the opponent offers keen play I don't object; but in such cases I get less satisfaction, even if I win, than from a game conducted according to all the rules of strategy with its ruthless logic."

  • - Anatoly Karpov
  • 1 Comments:

    Blogger B said...

    I'm not sure how to take this.
    After losing to D-mac as many times as I have, I wonder if he subscribes to Karpov's belief that the reward is in the battle for a "microscopic" chance at victory--because that would mean I have allowed his slim chance to beat me time and again.

    10:32 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home